IDRC careers FAQ
1. What is important to mention in my application?
You should provide concrete examples of how your background meets the position’s education, experience and language requirements.
2. How do I know if my application has been received?
When you apply on-line for a position, you will receive an automatic confirmation.
3. Are your positions open to non-Canadians?
Positions open to non-Canadians are those indicated as being “open to the general public – national and international populations”. However, you will need to obtain and maintain a valid work permit or visa required to legally perform your work and provide proof of such to IDRC.
4. What is IDRC’s selection process?
- Review applications
- Compile short-list of candidates
- Test language abilities for bilingual positions
- Conduct interviews, practical or written exercises
- Check references
- Offer employment
- Advise short-listed candidates not selected
5. What is the interview format?
Interviews are in a panel format and can take between 60 to 90 minutes. Questions are technical, behavioural or situational, with behavioural or situational questions based on the competencies found on the job posting. More than one interview may be required. As well, practical or written exercises may be administered.
6. How long before I find out if I am being considered further for a position?
Normally after a position closes it takes up to three weeks for candidates selected for an interview to be advised. We appreciate the interest of all candidates, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted due to the volume of applications received.
7. What if I require accommodations for testing or an interview?
If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity for testing or an interview, please advise IDRC’s Human Resources representative of the accommodation measures that must be taken to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner.
8. Should I send my application even if there is no position advertised?
We do not maintain a bank of general applications to staff positions. We recommend you wait and apply when a specific position is advertised that suits your qualifications.